Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Fist (or Myofist) - Hot Spikes

Fist (or Myofist) - Hot Spikes


#99
March 10 1980 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY (YMMV EDITION)
Fist (or Myofist)
Hot Spikes
Genre: Canadian Classic Rock
4 out of 5



Highlights:
Money
Are You Crying
Alimony
Lord Miss You


There is virtually no record of this band in the interwebz. I mean, aside from their own website and that they are mentioned in the list of albums released in Wikipedia’s 1980 in Rock entry. But they’ve been around for 40+ years!  Like…what?
You know that likability factor we talk about as far as the indefinable ingredient that Canadian rockers (like Kick Axe!) have? 
Yep, that’s here. 
Listen to “What Am I To Do” and tell me that it’s not just a really likable Ozzy Osbourne ballad. It is. Straight up in that wheel house. How did they not score in the states with this stuff? Not even a little bit. 
This band really wants to be Judas Priest and Ozzy but also Styx and all sorts of red friendly AOR power rock and even glam (“alimony”) and doesn’t really know how to sell any of it and yet, I love it. 
A lot of this record reminds me (for no good reason whatsoever) of Electric Six. And Diamond Nights. Well, they remind me of this. 
Look, you’re probably gonna hate this but it surprised me all over the place. And I found myself liking a lot of it as much as the band seemed to. 
Okay, okay. Stop yelling. I’ll do better next time. I promise.


No comments: