Thursday, June 25, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Distractions - Nobody's Perfect

The Distractions - Nobody's Perfect

#190
May 1980
The Distractions
Nobody’s Perfect
Genre: New Wave
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Waiting for Lorraine
Untitled


If I had a record player, the kind with the long stem that encouraged us all ruin our records by stacking them, I would put this platter right on top of New Clear Days by The Vapors. 
This is a neat little collection of pained love songs of dejection (among others) with tight hooks and great arrangements. 
It’s actually got a bunch of surprising turns, it never falters and was constantly surprising me. I could hear the future in a lot of it, like “Leave You to Dream” but also that angular post-punk Rezillos sounding “Paracetamol Paralysis”, but all too often the album falls either lyrically or melodically short. Too bad, there’s a lot of potential here. Trouble is, they don’t know if they are Paisley Revival, Jangle Pop, New Wave, or what. And I’m left wondering if I’m listening to a playlist of a bunch of bands. 
Sigh. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfcKOJrXCTM&list=PLlvn8uktX5LsUZM2GoTxWdNTRWsTrvMWy

No comments: