Thursday, June 18, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Roger Chapman and the Shortlist - Mail Order Magic

Roger Chapman and the Shortlist - Mail Order Magic

#170
1980 Housekeeping
Roger Chapman & the Shortlist
Mail Order Magic
Genre: Glam Rock
3.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Unknown Soldier


Hey, Joe Cocker, this is what you should be trying to sound like. Take your raspy blues and get in front of a band that can actually pound the skins with conviction and you might come close to this record. 
Roger’s voice is unique. He has the same incessant vibrate that caused record labels to tell Beth Hart that she was unmarketable. Fuck them. I’ve never heard him and, you know what? I like what I hear. I don’t wanna hear a double album of it (looking at you, Stevie Moore) and he’s not the best songwriter, either, but I wouldn’t mind hearing him cover some…Boomtown Rats songs. I know that seems weird but I think Geldof’s voice is sufficiently bizarre in a similar way at times and he knew how to write to it. 
Roger can’t tell if he wants to be Rod Stewart or Randy Newman and ends up in a different neighborhood entirely. 
Trouble is, his songs aren’t really any good. 

No comments: