Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Helmet Boy - Helmet Boy

Helmet Boy - Helmet Boy

#127
1980 Housekeeping
Helmet Boy
Helmet Boy
Genre: Power Pop
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Hurts Like Love
Red Eyes
Poster Girl

I agree to an extent with Willfully Obscure when Spavid connects Helmet Boy to Rubinoos and Cheap Trick but I’m actually hearing E Street Band. That pub rock sound of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes as well. 

Oh! Hey!!!! Just did some deep dive and the lead singer here went on to become the replacement bass player in…gulp…STYX!

This is a terrific little unknown Power Pop gem and if The Listening Post was being done at a time when I was listening to Vinyl I would be tracking this thing down on Discogs, Ebay or Amoeba and firing it up for a buck. 

Burtnick, the guy who went on to Styx is in a new Power Pop band called The Weeklings and they just released a new record and I have to go spin that…right after I turn this one over again. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGvWXGsdIVM&list=PLlvn8uktX5Lsk_EO5_BedAgK72EZqAwUm

No comments: