Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Genesis - Duke

Genesis - Duke


#113
Genesis
Duke
Genre: prog rock
Allen’s Rating: 4
Lori’s Rating 3.5

Allen’s Highlights:
Behind the Lines
Misunderstanding
Turn It On Again

Lori’s Highlights: 
Alone Again
Duchess


Should come with a label warning of "Yikes" - Man of Our Time



When I was a sophomore in high school, growing up in Bar Harbor I scooped ice cream for a summer job.  Suffice it to say that the song "Misunderstanding" played on our work radio so much that summer that I can't hear it now without shouting out "Plain or Sugar Cone?" I find this song so dirge-like that I can't get past the opening bars.  Heathaze gave me a feeling in my chest that almost had me wondering if I should go get a COVID test, and Turn It On Again and Cul de Sac made me wonder what Andrew Lloyd Webber might have done with a Greatest American Hero musical.  I get why people love Genesis, I've been a fan of their other stuff for sure.  I guess this album was kind of a bridge for the band, to get them up and running again.  I gave it a medium score because I do think that what they do, they do very well.  I just can't imagine what I would be doing while I listened to this.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7ryVZ5ca6GM3FAkmlrymgv?si=eswxwRFlSY2yfAAij_CtRA

No comments: