Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Billy Joel - Glass Houses

Billy Joel - Glass Houses


#101
Reviewed by Tom Mott
March 12 1980
Billy Joel
Glass Houses

Allen’s Rating: 5
Tom’s Rating: 
3.75 -- Deadhead Justin
3.00 -- Audio Everett
2.75 -- Tom
For an average 3.25 out of 5


Allen’s Highlights:
You May Be Right
It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me
All For Leyna
C’Etait Tok (You Were the One)

Billy Joel
Glass Houses

Tom’s Highlights:
You May Be Right
It's Still Rock and Roll
Close to the Borderline

Note from Tom: After my kids adamantly refused to listen to any of the songs and rate that album -- "that's the stupidest idea ever" -- I turned to my back neighbors for a group review. Success! Presenting: 

Deadhead Justin. Favorite Billy Joel Song: "That 'Cadillac-ac-ac-ac' one"
Audio Everett: "You know, that might be my favorite too. It's a classic. What's it called?" (It's Anthony's Song)
Tom: "I have to go with 'Always a Woman.' He always goes big with his waltzes. Allentown is a guilty pleasure."



=======================================================
YOU MAY BE RIGHT 
J: 5.00 "'I may just be the loooonatic you're looking for'" is one of my favorite lyrics of all time."
E: 3.50 "I love the end part."
T: 3.50 "I remember this from Chipmunk Punk."

SOMETIMES A FANTASY
J: 4.00 "Sure! It's catchy."
E: 2.50 "Whoa, first two songs both start with a sound effect. That's interesting."
T: 2.50 "Sounds like he's channeling The Cars."
E: 2.50 "He's talking some risks. But those 'whoas' are weak."

DON'T ASK ME WHY
J: 4.00 "This could be twice as long and turn into a steel drum reggae thing."
E: 3.50 "I like that middle part."
T: 3.50 "It sounds like the clave player gets lost a couple times."

IT'S STILL ROCK AND ROLL
J: 4.50 "I can imagine Tom Hanks dancing to this in his socks." "Tom Cruise?" "Him too."
E: 4.00 "I would be stoked if it came on at the dentist."
T: 3.50 "I have a philosophical problem with the lyrics. But I like the call and response with himself."

ALL FOR LEYNA
J: 3.00 "This is fine."
E: 2.50 "Nothing interesting here."
T: 2.50 "Billy O'Joel"

I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE
J: 3.0 "I like the lyrics. Sting could do a reggae cover of this."
E: 3.0 "It's dynamic. Goes up and down a bit."
T: 2.25 "Sting doing a reggae cover of this is my idea of hell."

SLEEPING WITH THE TELEVISION ON
J: 2.75. "Almost yacht rock. I like yacht rock."
E: 2.50. "Another sound effect! Definite small beach vibe. Not Malibu. Maybe Ventura or Pismo."
T: 2.00. "He's losing me. Downhill three songs in a row."

C'ETAIT TOIS
J: 3.00. "Worldy. A worldy song."
E: 2.00. "I don't like the French."
T: 3.00. "I like the middle-eight French part. Why do you hate the French? You must 'surrender' to it."

CLOSE TO THE BORDERLINE 
J: 3.50 "Edgy."
E: 4.50 "I like this song. I'm really surprised to hear such a strong song this late on the album."
T: 2.65 "'Edgy' in quotes." 

DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS
T: "Sounds McCartney-ish." 
J: "I don't like 'ish.' Whenever my Frisbee golf partner Anthony says 'one-ish' he's an hour late."
E: "Solid finish."
J: "It really doesn't get better than 'loooonatic you're looking for.'"
J: 3-ish 
E: 3-ish 
T: 3-ish 

FINAL VERDICTS
Deadhead Justin: "There are some great songs, but I'm not adding any of them to my Spotify Favorites because those are linked to my morning alarm."

Audio Everett: "I was surprised by that next-to-last song. Overall not a bad album, but not a monster like River of Dreams."

Tom: "When J. Geils Band had their massive hits Centerfold and Freezeframe, I bought that album. And the rest of that album was mostly filler that I tried to convince myself was good because I had spent money on it. This album reminds me of that album."


https://open.spotify.com/album/5sztejERqpktXEdemlUvU5?si=Q5cjXmMNRwCXy4H_oKttqA

No comments: