Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Jo Broadbery and the Standouts - Jo Broadbery and the Standouts

Jo Broadbery and the Standouts

#130
1980 Housekeeping
Jo Broadbery and the Standouts
Jo Broadbery and the Standouts
Genre: I can be Costello, too
3.25 out of 5 


Highlights:
The One that Got Away
Mumbo Man


It’s not JUST that I am in the middle of a discussion about Elvis C while I’m listening to this that is bringing this up. Sure, I have to deal with he fact that only I (and many critics at the time, and some today) agree that one particular Elvis album wasn’t his best but I also have to figure out how to rate an album that sounds like a carbon copy of an Elvis wannabe while knowing that, if I give it more than I rated THAT record, Imma get trashed. 
Jo, who died just 7 years after this record was released, also touches on Squeeze and Joe Jackson and, welp, that was the sound of the day, wasn’t it? 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20YWFK29VaA&list=PLlvn8uktX5LvOBg-S702_riRAKojP8gRE  (Missing 3 tracks - Animal Games, In Disguise, and Love is a Conspiracy)

No comments: