Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Air Supply - Lost in Love

Air Supply - Lost in Love


#112
March 1980
Air Supply
Lost in Love
Genre: Soft Rock
3.25 out of 5



Highlights:
Lost in Love
I’m All Out of Love
Every Woman in the World




My favorite song as a kid was “I Like Dreamin’” by Kenny Nolan. Because I had a crush on a girl who once told me to “drop dead” and I couldn’t bring myself to ask her out. She’s a judge now. And I would daydream about her. 
I have a soft spot for schmaltzy soft rock of the 70s. Someone gave me Have You Never Been Mellow by Olivia Newton john and I adored that record. But, really I loved the soft gauze picture of John on the cover. 

I wanted this record really badly. But, as a teen I couldn’t bring myself to walk in to the store to buy it. I sent my younger brother to the store to get it. he wouldn’t do it. No, wait a minute. He went. But he bought a different record. He bought a Rush record because I told him, if they didn’t have it to get 2112 by Rush instead. 
I guess they didn’t have it and I wasn’t gonna press the issue. 

This isn’t the 80s. This is the sound of 70s Broadway Musical made into soft rock. Why not? The Air Supplies guys met in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar. And this sounds like it was written by people who loved Godspell a lot too much. 
This thing is totally front loaded. Those opening three are all that’s needed. 


No comments: