Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Brats - Brats

Brats - Brats

#151
April 18 1980
Brats
Brats
Genre: Power Rock
2.75 out of 5



I’ve been on a glam rock/power pop jag lately. Not just because of this project. When I’m not listening to music from 1980 you can catch me listening to Biters, Foxy Shazam, Starcrawler, The Darkness, White Reaper, The Struts, Heavy Tiger, The Regrettes, Glam Skanks, Foxygen, The Chevelles, The Hellacopters, Thunder Express and a host of other guitar based rock bands from every decade and era. I like songs I can air guitar to. The content is secondary. 
I wanted so badly to include Brats in that catalog. The songs aren’t there. What is there is the garage version of what they would ultimately become: Mercyful Fate. And that’s a pretty good Metal band. 
The band sounds great here. The lyrics are uninteresting and their delivery is nothing short of terrible. 
I want to love garage/punk shit like “B-Brains” and it just sounds like a 4 guys who all wanna play something different. 
I’m reminded of another European band, the aforementioned Hellacopters, who will pay homage to that Radio Birdman sound and also create a paean to KISS, with the song, “Paul Stanley”. For Brats, that’s the deeply mediocre “Heavy Rocker”, the side two opener. Who knew that Kiss was so influential? 


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC1dn5CAKoA

No comments: