Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Glass Moon - Glass Moon

Glass Moon - Glass Moon


#118
1980 Housekeeping LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
Glass Moon
Glass Moon
Genre: Prog-Rock from North Carolina
4.25 out of 5 


Highlights:
Killer at 25
Follow Me
(I Like) the Way You Play
The Dreamer

Requisite 80s cover: Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill”. I’m not sure if they were hoping to have a hit with it or if they really just loved it so much they wanted to record it. It’s (obviously) not as good as the original. And it takes away from the record. And it makes them sound too much like Supertramp.



I’m a sucker for a rock song that can pull off 3/4 and not sound like a waltz. “Killer at 25” is that song. Hooked me right in and didn’t let go. 
Part of the issue with Prog-Rock for me is that it so often can either be so self-indulgent that the naval gazing of musical accomplishment is so distracting and detracting that I can’t follow along. Other times it just ends up emulating a mid-70s, hippie culture inspired Broadway Musical.
When it does neither of those things, I think we can agree that it can be pretty terrific. This is one of those times. It’s almost like someone swirled some glam rock in a potpourri of progressive rock ambition and it worked. “The Dreamer” reminds me a lot of mid-70s Sparks. It’s in the Progressive/Glam world of “This Town Ain’t Big Enough For the Both of Us”. It’s nowhere as good as that song, I’m thinking more about the cheekiness and goofy Tiger Feet backing vocals. It’s close to bonkers.

No comments: