Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - The Rubinoos - Party of Two

The Rubinoos - Party of Two


#154
1983
The Rubinoos
Party of Two
4 out of 5 (this might be higher if it was an album...or lower...)
Highlights:
If I Had You Back
Faded Dream
Yes, this is an ep. Too bad.
The first time I ever heard of The Rubinoos was in the middle of the night, in the common room in Brittany Hall, watching MTV with my roommate. Their video for “If I Had You Back” caught our eye with it’s catchy chorus and infectiously fun humor. Yes, I know they sang “Revenge of the Nerds” title track. I also hate that movie and think it’s a low point for the band.
Cut to 9 years ago. A friend and producer of my band’s album, Robbie Rist, shows up as the new drummer and producer of…The Rubinoos?? Yep. This Power Pop group has a new album, “Automatic Toaster”. So, of course I want to get my hands on it but I’m in a phase where I will only buy music on vinyl (yes, vinyl) if it comes with a “digital download”. So I write to the company selling the record and receive an email from Tommy Dunbar asking what the heck I’m talking about. He just thought, a record is a record is a record. I wrote him a long email back, effusively praising The Rubinoos and pimping my band.
I never heard back.
That album is ok.
This EP is just short of a perfect slice of 80s Power Pop. One side of what could've been a great little rekkid.

No comments: