Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Soft Cell - The Last Night in Sodom

Soft Cell - The Last Night in Sodom


#69
March 1984
Soft Cell
This Last Night in Sodom
3.75 out of 5 (I wanted to give this a 4 but the numbers worked out to 3.5 and I added the extra .25 for flavor)


Highlights:
Mr. Self Destruct
The Best Way to Kill

There’s just no getting away from Marc Almond. I’m not entirely sure how he did it and there must be a book or documentary about this guy who just…keeps…recording….
The opening track is a hard left turn away from the synth-o-dance pop of yore. There’s more energy in this soundtrack for a swinging 60s super spy than on the last Soft Cell record (and it’s more interesting than most of Marc and the Mambas, dammit) and it burns directly into the controlled chaos & cacophony of “Slave to This” and the the energy doesn’t stop there. The dark dance stuff here is almost an assertive shrugging off of the very synth-wave stuff Almond held invent. He brings you back to those glory days, if only hinting, toward the end, tho. 
The deep theatricality of some of the offerings hit all the right notes for me and I find myself lamenting that this is the end of Soft Cell. But then I remember that Marc Almond is a prodigious recording artist so, there’s going to be more weirdness coming from him. 


No comments: