Sunday, January 20, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Dalis Car - The Waking Hour

Dalis Car - The Waking Hour



#3
January 2 1984
Dalis Car
The Waking Hour
2 out of 5

Did you miss the self-indulgence of another Bauhaus member in 1983? Here’s a link to the interminably hateful The Etiquette of Violence by David J (http://septenary.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-1983-listening-post-david-j.html). What about bandmate Peter Murphy’s side project? This one off was a collaboration with Mick Karn of Japan
It opens with a lot of bass doing whatever it wants, it seems and a sax fighting for prominence surrounded by sleeps and blips and random synth sounds…so there’s that. I don’t remember Dali being the sound of cacophonous images battling each other for room on the dance floor. But, if that’s what you got from the master of surrealism, more power to you. That doesn’t make it any good. 
It sort of has to wash over you, like “His Box” did and then just when I think, “Hmm…maybe I can get into this…” I realize that I do not like it, its going nowhere and my time is being sucked away by someone else’s wanna-be-artful indulgence that I am sure they have forgotten.
It’s stunning how much if this sounds similar to Gary Numan’s I, Assassin. It’s gotta be that fret less bass. Anyway. Didn’t like this sound from Gary. Don’t care much for it here. 


No comments: