Thursday, January 31, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Andy Summers and Robert Fripp - Bewitched

Andy Summers and Robert Fripp - Bewitched


#80
March 1984
Andy Summers and Robert Fripp
Bewitched
2.75 out of 5


Highlights:
What Kind of Man Reads Playboy?

In the 80s I was really into this one side of one album by Brand X, Unorthodox Behavior. The cover was all new age-y but the music was just tight instrumentals with Phil Collins (!!!) on drums. They were jazz fusion. Fine. What does that have to do with this? Not much. This isn’t jazz as much as it’s rock/pop/ambient instrumentals that sound like they might’ve spawned from some intense jam sessions, ala jazz.
Some of it, like “Train” & the title track, is just monotonous, droning rhythms with Summers (or Fripp) noodling over it and I guess I’m supposed to lose myself in the hypnotic rhythms and soundscapes…I don’t.
But all in all its very listenable and noodly and fine. It’s no Brand X. 



No comments: