Thursday, January 24, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Smiths - The Smiths

The Smiths - The Smiths



#32
February 20 1984
The Smiths
The Smiths
2 out of 5


Full confession.
I’ve never listened to an entire Smiths record in one sitting. Ever. 
Until now. 
I’ll see you in 45 minutes
Sorry, me again. 5 minutes in. Why do I want to kill myself? I don’t feel like Morrissey is being honest here. Instead I think he’s singing a love song the way he *thinks* people want to hear him declare his love for them. 
Ok. See you later. 
Sorry, had to step in. I’m on song two and I wonder…did the band record perfectly good backing tracks and then have Morrissey sing whatever he felt like warbling over them? That worked years later for Eddie Vedder but here I just want him to shut the fuck up. 
End Side One: Thank god Morrissey found Marr. His parents would have been sad with where he was heading if he didn’t find music. 

Side Two:
Omg, someone give this man a hug. I get it man, you are miserable. Not as miserable as some of the goths that came before you (Looking at you, David J) but, there’s an argument to be made that Marc Almond’s Marc and the Mambas was a more accessible confessional band and Torment and Toreros a better vehicle for this sort of stuff and that without Marr, Morrissey follows the Jim Carroll path. 
Ok, I kind of like “What Difference Does it Make” but that’s in spite of Steve and because the band sounds great. If not for that and the musicianship elsewhere this album would score lower. 

I am not a fan of the Smiths. Or maybe I’m just not a fan of Morrissey. 


No comments: