Thursday, January 31, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Steve Perry - Street Talk

Steve Perry - Street Talk


#81
April
Steve Perry
Street Talk
2.5 out of 5


You know what’s the worst part of this record? 
Steve Perry’s voice. 
It’s absolutely perfect...for the soaring theatrics of arena rock but on wanna be R&B or trash can doo woo it’s overblown and screechy. It’s not until the end of Side One that Steve shows any energy AND vocal restraint. “It’s Only Love” isn’t any good and it proves what a poor singer with a singular talent he is. However, if there’s a battle between which Journey breakaway project was better, Perry’s wins. He has his sights squarely set on the Michael Bolton fan base and, if he had decided to, I bet he could’ve spared us all that garbage. 
I considered putting “Oh Sherrie” in the highlights but, you know what? It’s not worth it. And that would mean that it would come up when I play my “loved” songs in Apple Music and I don’t think I want that to happen. 



No comments: