Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Golden Earring - N.E.W.S.

Golden Earring - N.E.W.S.


#65
March 1984
Golden Earring
N.E.W.S.
2.25 out of 5


Opening with a song that sounds so much like “The Twilight Zone” I am nervous that this album is an attempt to recreate the success of that middling record from 82. 
I’m sure there are Golden Earring fans out there. Like, die hards. Mostly from Holland, I imagine. And this must be a fine entry for them. If “Radar Love” and “Zone” didn’t turn you into adoring consumers of what they are selling, this isn’t going to be the album that suddenly changes that.
I bet they thought they were being super-edgy on “Fist in Glove” and “Orwell’s Year” and the title track but those are  just annoying aural assaults by a band that seems to have lost whatever script they were following. 
 While there is another song titled after a popular golden age television show “Mission Impossible”, it’s so bereft of anything interesting that it render the band callous and craven. 
Weirdly, the last song, “It’s Over Now” (which I applaud as I would any band that tells it’s audience that they made through a piece of garbage and they are done) sounds almost NOTHING like anything I’ve heard GE lay down, unless I’ve forgotten. It almost sort of kinda works. 


No comments: