Thursday, January 24, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Madness - Keep Moving

Madness - Keep Moving



#31
February 20 1984
Madness
Keep Moving
2.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Wings of a Dove

One of the first “finds” of the New Wave era, for me, was One Step Beyond by Madness. The title track was the first song I ever played when I had the chance to guest dj at the college radio station. Well, it would have been if the DJ kept his promise…instead of leaving me there, holding a stack of records and ignoring me for 45 minutes. 

Anyway, that album is one of the best of the era. And they’ve had a few great ones after. This one…is more 7 than Rise and Fall. Sounds like Suggs and the boys have run out of gas. Even a song that should be cheeky, goofy fun, “Michael Caine” is so subdued that I have to wonder where the fun has gone. By “One Better Day” I am left wondering what happened to the boys. I get that some people take a shine to this sort of antiseptic material but it’s sooooo lifeless. 
Only at the very end, “Give Me a Reason” can you hear the traces of the old band, that hint of menace, like music for spies for the ridiculous. Would that the whole album was closer to this. 


No comments: