Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth

Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth


#67
March 1984
Julian Cope
World Shut Your Mouth
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Kolly Kibber’s Birthday

I’m one of those people who thinks The Teardrop Explodes was a better name for a band than the music they created. The second song, “Metranil Vavin”, with it’s disjointed change in tempos is half a good song, marred by it’s determination to be…weird for the sake of. 
All I remember about Julian Cope was the rumors about drug use. And that’s when I wasn’t getting him confused with Jules Shear. Which makes zero sense. I’m really just tap dancing through this record. There’s not much here for me to hang on to, get excited about or even really all that interested. 
There’s a lot of confessional warbling here but no real songs. It’s like…poppy Smiths. 
The more you sit with Julian, the more he grows on you. And the more I feel bad for him. Whatever he’s going through, he should get some help. 


No comments: