Sunday, January 20, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The 77s - All Fall Down

The 77s - All Fall Down


#6
January1 1984
The 77s
All Fall Down
4 out of 5

Highlights:
Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba
You Don’t Scare Me
Caught in an Unguarded Moment


There is a band from New York, an Indie band called The Drums. I love their first couple records from the early 10s. It’s as though they heard BaBaBaBa and decided that would be their entire sound. 
Unlike this band, The Drums never seemed to be able to venture out from that herky-jerkiness. At least the 77s try. Just when I think I get what they’re about, they make a left turn into beat-noir rock (“You Don’t Scare Me”) and I’m kept off balance. I’m really surprised that, amidst the Huey Lewises, Hall & Oatesiness & John Cougar Mellencamps the 77s didn’t cut through in some way. In a world where John Cafferty could have a hit song, these guys should’ve been more than an asterisk. Perhaps its the cover, which presents the band as a punk outfit. Or the bookending synth tunes. Or the Power Pop semi-ballad at the end. I don’t know. I look forward to more from them. 


No comments: