Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - .38 Special - Tour de Force

.38 Special - Tour de Force


#24
February 6 1984
.38 Special
Tour de Force
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
If I’d Been the One
Back Where You Belong

We have this as 1984 although it’s listed as 83 in other places. Since we missed it in 83, we’ll cover it here. 

I get my Van Zants confused. Which one is Donnie? Is he the one from the Sixth Sense? I kid, I kid. 

So, Gin Blossoms had this record, right? Not the whole band, just the guy who wrote all the good songs, was a drunk, got kicked out and died. Him. He must’ve loved this record. And I’m pretty sure Bon Jovi was influenced by “Back Where You Belong” when he wrote “Livin’ On a Prayer”. No?
In turn, I’m pretty sure these guys were listening to Foreigner non stop before writing this record. 
None of these are bad things, per se. Everything on this album is listenable in that Beer ’n’ BBQ Summer Festival way. This gets me right in my MOR nads. 


No comments: