Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - General Public - All the Rage

General Public - All the Rage


#16
January 28 1984
General Public
All the Rage
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Tenderness
Are You Leading Me On


I knew nothing about General Public except for the big hit single, “Tenderness”, which is a perfectly fine song. I can’t count it as an earworm cuz, for me, after it’s done, pfft, it’s gone for me.
This reminds me of a fuller Fun Boy Three and, in looking them up, should be no surprise. This is basically a new wave supergroup. The English Beat, an ex-Dexys, Mick Freaking Jones, someone from the Specials and all of that melds together to make…a pretty pedestrian, sometimes listless, occasionally interesting record. I would’ve expected more. A little ska, a little blue eyed soul, pop n fresh melodies that Dave Wakeling renders somewhat distancing. He’s not an inviting singer. Cut from that Brit-a-tone that was so prevalent but without the smoothness of the better choices of the day.



No comments: