Thursday, January 31, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Nena - 99 Luftballons

Nena - 99 Luftballons


#85
April 8 1984
Nena
99 Luftballons
3.75 out of 5 (rating based on this being an amalgam of the previous two records)

Highlights: 
99 Red Balloons
Kino (which was on the last album, too)
Leuchtturm (see Kino)
Rette Mich (See Leuchtturm)

Wait, didn’t we do this already?
I actually really liked their 83 album and instead of doing their german language follow up I wanted to hear if Nena’s songs hold up…in English.
The first thing I realize is that in a matter of months this pop-n-fresh upbeat New Wave sound has all but disappeared from the pop landscape. And I miss it, dammit. Everyone is taking themselves SO seriously. 
At least I’ve answered the important question: “How much Nena is too much Nena””?”
Answer. 1983. 


No comments: