Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Matthew Wilder - I Don't Speak the Language

Matthew Wilder - I Don't Speak the Language


#259
Julu 1 1983
Matthew Wilder
I Don’t Speak the Language
3.75 out of 5

Highlights:
The Kid’s American
I Was There


I’ve always thought Matthew Wilder was British. Possibly it’s the blue-eyed soul that was so popular out of there (UB40, Culture Club) that I just assumed he was part of that pack. He’s not, he’s a NewYorker, transplanted to LA who was, eventually, nominated for an Academy Award for his work on Mulan. 
I would venture that he hews closer to Elton John on a lot of these tracks, especially on “I Was There”, which John should’ve covered and made into a hit.. He won’t be pegged. Which is also his flaw. He’s so adept at a minor variety of styles that are equally inoffensive, toothless but also well crafted that he doesn’t sound like anything, really. There’s faux-ska, blue eyed soul, pop, disco…it’s a hodgepodge.
At first I was like, “It’s the ‘Break My Stride’ guy! What a tool!” Then the album kept never bugging me and I realized he had made a good one. Not a great one. But it’s very good. 


No comments: