Saturday, January 26, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Spinal Tap - This is Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap - This is Spinal Tap





#48
March 2 1984
Spinal Tap
This is Spinal Tap
5 out of 5

Highlights:
Hell Hole
Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You (Tonight)
America
Big Bottom
Stonehenge

I don’t usually include soundtracks. This one is special and different. Nevermind the fact that I saw them in concert at the vaunted and famous CBGB concert with John Seven. (I think Thor was there, right?) This album seems to be coming at the exact right time. In private conversations with Sheffield and John and my brother and my wife I have been lamenting the DEARTH of interesting or quality music in 84. It’s a bad year. I’ve never seen so much garbage. Only 5 albums crack 4 stars out of the first 47 listened to. 
So, Spinal Tap. This album is the poke in the eye that points out, decidedly, that the tropes we got used to in the 70s are in dire need of review. “Hell Hole” & “Heavy Duty” render Manowar or Venom or Ratt or any of those bands that will still factor for the next few years redundant and silly. “Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You” is the last word on Glam Metal (Yes, I know it will explode soon) They take the piss out of Kiss and all the boogie rock that should play State Fair with “Puppet Show”. 
But Tap loves that music as much as they point out the ludicrousness. Their love for it makes for great tunes. And also makes it impossible to see that music through any other lens. “Stonehenge” is a commentary and perfect recreation of ROCK’s excesses. I dare you not to Air Mandolin along with Nigel. 
We could talk about the impact of the movie for days. Albert Brooks was there with Real People first but Tap changed the world in it’s presentation and earnestness. But this record is something more than a soundtrack and more than a comedy record. It’s a reflective revelation. 


There’s BST and AST in the Encyclopaedia Rawk. 


No comments: