Sunday, January 27, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Trouble - Psalm 9

Trouble - Psalm 9



#52
March 
Trouble
Psalm 9
3.25 out of 5


So, I’m riding around my neighborhood, listening to “The Tempter” by Trouble and thinking, “Ugh. MORE death metal? How much of this stuff is there?” And, then, as I’m cruising around to “Revelation (Life or Death) I start comparing them to other Gloom Metal bands of the era and the only one I come up with is Saint Vitus, which was released just a month before. Because every other metal band I can think of is either not really Doom or they came later. 
So, I look em up. And, lo and behold, they are one of the first practitioners of the model. 
Their roots are obviously in Sabbath and Purple and even Zeppelin and if I am being honest, this is not my cuppa. But, if I am comparing it to Saint Vitus I would say that this is the superior entry. That said, I could live without hearing this stuff but for what it is, it’s effective. How’s that for wishy washy?


No comments: