Monday, January 28, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Del Lords - Frontier Days

The Del Lords - Frontier Days



#58
March 20 1984
The Del Lords
Frontier Days
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live
Double Life
I Play the Drums
Burnin' in the Flame of Love

In the cow-punk/roots rock revival derby I was on team X & The Beat Farmers. The Blasters were great, of course but I had made my allegiances. I loved me some Dave Edmunds, sure and of course, Rockpile and soon enough I would fall for Mojo Nixon’s schtick.
All of that might’ve been different if I had heard of The Del-Lords. 
This tasty assortment of determined and solid rock and roll missed me entirely. It’s infectious and terrific. Side One is a smorgasbord of singles ready could’ve been hits. Turn the record over and, well, you’ve got more good songs. 
This band, from the guitarist for The Dictators reminds me that the rock landscape is littered with albums from bands who were great at what they did and never really got a fair shot. 
The production suffers from, well, 80s. They aren’t reinventing the wheel but, in a world where the fucking Hooters could have hits, the Del Lords were short changed. 


No comments: