Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Bananarama - Deep Sea Skiving

Bananarama - Deep Sea Skiving

#264
March 7, 19831983
Banarama
Deep Sea Skiing
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Shy Boy
Young at Heart
Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
Boy Trouble

Okay this was a challenge. I had to piece it together on YouTube and some of the songs were mislabeled so I thought I was listening to one and it was actually a different one. Sigh…

Song by song:
1. Shy Boy
Wait. I swear I remember this track. This was everywhere. The bass is mixed too high for me to get into the vocals as much as I’d like. Like they are secondary. i wonder if this will continue through the record. ****
2. Doctor Love
1. A Paul Weller song that doesn’t really do him or ‘Rama justice. It’s too…big. ***
3. What a Shambles
1. The first song credited to Banarama on the album. It’s wholly pleasant. Like a sunny, summer, day-glo day. ****
4. Really Saying Something
1. It’s hard to rate covers. The originals, if good, cement themselves somewhere in your brain. There is something almost bored about the vocals that works in that they just want the song to carry the day. And that almost disaffected quality is inviting. It leaves me wanting, though. ***
5. Cheers Then
1. Written by Bananrama (with others), this is happy and frivolous and charming. Abba-esque ***
6. Aie a Mana
1. My favorite track so far. Bouncy, shimmering, fresh and fun. ****
7. Young at Heart
1. Why wasn’t this a single? It’s one of the best songs on the album. It’s like Christmas. ****
8. Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
1. The best cover track on the record ****
9. Hey Young London
1. Bananarama does Bow Wow Wow. McLaren was right. This rhythm is made for pop rock. It drives the song above where it would normally land. ***
10. Boy Trouble
1. I take it back, this is my favorite track. It’s great with all three voices but I kind of wish it was a solo track. Doesn’t matter which banana, I think that would make it even better. ****
11. Wish You Were Here With Me
1. A very nice, sweet, inoffensive piece of pop candy. All very pleasant. Like I said, Christmas. ****

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xm0HhIaKcFVAOozgofjnx8rtjZraqEv



No comments: