Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Madonna - Madonna

Madonna - Madonna

July 27 1983
Madonna
Madonna
2.5 out of 5
Highlights:
Borderline
Burnin’ Up
When I listened to this the first time about 8 years ago I really enjoyed it. Now, in context of all that was going on in 83 it’s no surprise that it cut through. It’s very simple, shiny and happy. It’s weirdly innocent and trite. So very steeped in 70s disco, almost like someone realized that there was a void and, if you didn’t fill it, someone else would.
Madonna did. And we’d be talking about her and that newly filled void for years.
The LA band, Drag, which we played with a couple times, did a razor sharp rock version of “Burnin’ Up” which I was always jealous of, so I’m glad we covered “She Bop” a few years later to get our female driven pop-rock rocks off.
For a while I was grooving to “Holiday” and then I thought, “Jeez, how fucking long is this song????” and then it was ending and I looked up and it wasn’t even four minutes.
The hits are solid but haven't aged well. The rest is dance hall filler.

No comments: