Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve

HSAS - Through the Fire


#66
March 1984
Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve
Through the Fire
2 out of 5

Highlights:
Valley of the Kings

[Phone rings]
“Cabo Wabo! Hagar here!”
“Sammy! Neil!’
“Schon-ey wone-y! What’s up?”
“About our supergroup.”
“Yeah!”
“I’m thinking. During each song, I’m just gonna play bog noodley solos all over the place. Cool?”
“Wait, you mean…all over the verses or even the choruses, like, whenever you feel like it?”
“Yes! Whaddya think?”
“Excellent!”
“Also, what’s our name gonna be?”
“How about just our initials, man?”
“ooooohhhh…..H-S-A-S! LOVE IT!”
“So will the DJs. And the fans. It just trips off the tongue.”
“See you at the studio, Sam.”
“Nah. I’ll just lay down my vocals and you can play whatever you want. I’ve got my phone patched in to the mixing board. Yeeeeeeaaahhhhh! There. That’s the chorus to our single.”

What is it with Sammy Hagar and the supergroups? If I ever wondered what Journey would sound like fronted by Sammy and stripped of all the charm and theatrics that made their songs hits it would sound like this. 
Overblown, self important, and worst of all, boring. But kudos, really, for managing to make a classic like “Whiter shade of Pale@ sound more boring and more bombastic and pretentious all at the same time. 

Give me Asia over this anyway. Or Chickenfoot. Yeah, Chickenfoot II is better than this. 


No comments: