Saturday, January 26, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Prefab Sprout - Swoon

Prefab Sprout - Swoon



#46
March 1 1984
Prefab Sprout
Swoon
3 out of 5

Highlights:
Don’t Sing


You know, I’ve always heard OF Prefab Sprout but, now that I come to think of it, I’ve never heard them. Oh…there’s that smooth bass…but it’s not so overt that it threatens to overwhelm everything. Probably because all the other instruments are real. 
I’ll accept, based on what I’ve read and their longevity, that Prefab Sprout is one of those bands that hadn’t sprung, fully formed on their debut and that were still getting their shit together. 
It’s not yet. Like on the song, “Green Isaac”. It take s long time to get there and then, once it arrives, I realize that Nate (fun.) Reuss’s first band The Format, must have heard this and tried to rewrite it as a pop rock song. He got close. So did Paddy McAloon.
There’s hints of XTC, Steely Dan, Joe Jackson. But the albums is way too confused. 


No comments: