Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Cleaners from Venus - Under Wartime Conditions

The Cleaners from Venus - Under Wartime Conditions


#18
January 1984
The Cleaners from Venus
Under Wartime Conditions
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Drowning Butterflies
Fracas on West Street
Lukewarm Love Song


More general weirdness from this guy. Psychedelic Dream Rock. Don’t like one song? Go to the next. It won’t sound much like it and maybe that’ll be one you like. Or not. Then try the next one. 
I wonder if Lennon heard of Martin Newell. This sounds like something he’d have in his record collection. Especially Andy Partridge. His influence is all over this. The explosive chaos on the Side Two opener, “Fracas on West Street” comes so far out of left field compared to everything else I’ve heard from Newell. I love it. And I sort of love the sarcastic, “Lukewarm Love Song” as well. 

Anyway. I’ve heard it now. 
Next. 


No comments: