Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Dalek I Love You - Dalek I Love You

Dalek I Love You - Dalek I Love You


#246
1983
Dalek I Love You
Dalek I Love You
3.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Holiday in Disneyland
The Mouse that Roared
Sons of Sahara


One of the things I’ve learned about consumer music in this epic project is that there is a LOT of music released in any given year. We are at album two HUNDRED and forty six. Like television, the investment in an artist or project is either a labor of love or an expectation of financial loss or both. Sure, some are crafted for the masses with a sure eye on making money but its just not possible that all of these albums were expected to make money. What that means is that a lot of music has fallen into the cracks of history (thank goodness for streaming services!) and would never be heard again. 
Did I know that I would love discotheque synth-pop like Trans-X as much as I do? Nope. But I’m really glad that I get to hear it.
Dalek I Love You is relegated to the dustbin of history. I never once even saw their record in a cut out bin in Amoeba. Should it have been? Maybe. It’s not worth a million copies sold. But it’s a lot better than, say Adam Ant’s Strip and other records that were foisted on the public. 
There are modern bands like this that are worth your time, too, like Neon Trees and Ima Robot’s first album. This sound never really had staying power but it gets revived once in a while and we are all fortunate for that. 


No comments: