Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Sparks - In Outer Space

Sparks - In Outer Space





#254
1983
Sparks
In Outer Space
4.75 out 5

Highlights: 
Cool Places
Popularity
All You Ever Think About is Sex
Rockin’ Girls
I Wish I Looked a Little Better


I just re-listened to my entire Sparks catalog in October. I had a love affair with them in college, based on the sardonic and ironic wit of Angst in my Pants.
I didn’t give In Outer Space much of a chance back then. I wanted the rocking’ crunch of Angst and this was all so…synth-y.
I missed out back then because all of the wit is still there (“Rockin’ Girls”, “I Wish I Looked a Little Better”), the melodies are strong and the production is smart.
They did not sustain after this, however. In Outer Space is their attempt to vaunt into the top 40. It worked with the party track, “Cool Places” one of the best dance tracks of the era and the silly and delightful “Popularity” but after this Sparks would be in the wilderness for a long while. 


No comments: