Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Hunters & Collectors - The Fireman's Curse

Hunters & Collectors - The Fireman's Curse


#263
September 5 1983
Hunters & Collectors
The Fireman’s Curse
3 out of 5

Highlights:
Curse
Fish Roar

The Australian invasion continues!
This is another entry in the big-sound-much-to-say-can’t-quite-figure-out-how-to-say-it-without-grandeur genre. It all sounds sooooo important. But that country has already given us one Midnight Oil and they had already hit the stratosphere with 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.  Not sure we need another. Each song grows on me in ways that make me think they are really good until I realize that this is a terrific rhythm section backing an Oi! vocalist with a handful of protest lyrics and not anything for me to hold on to besides the beat. Damn I want to love this more than I do.
I don’t know what was going on in Australia in the early 80s but, boy, there’s a lot protesting going on. 
I accidentally listened to this album backwards. In it’s correct order it is a bit more comprehensive. But it’s better when it’s heard correctly.
This whole thing just tries too damned hard. 


No comments: