Thursday, January 17, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - The Cleaners from Venus - In the Golden Autumn

The Cleaners from Venus - In the Golden Autumn



#270
1983
The Cleaners from Venus
In the Golden Autumn
3.5 out of 5
Highlights:
Please Don’t Step on My Rainbow
Krugerrand Gladiators
I almost didn’t include this one. But, two things persuaded me. 1. The DIY aesthetic is in stark contrast to all the bombast and over production we’ve been hearing and I love me some Mountain Goats, who recorded under the same constraints. 2. Martin Newell released a solo album in the 90s which was produced by Andy Partridge and, with a pedigree like that, I thought him worthy of inclusion.
From the outset I hear echoes of Marco Pirroni-esque guitars. That’s just on the opener but it adds something to this otherwise super lo fi retro entry. I’d have more appreciation for this record if it seemed like the participants were having fun and not just recording sound effects of birds (”The Autumn Cornfield”).
Later, around “Marilyn on a Train”) I found myself falling under this record’s spell the more time I spent with it but I really want the 60s to end.

No comments: