Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Robert Plant - The Principle of Moments

Robert Plant - The Principle of Moments

July 11, 1983
Robert Plant
The Principle of Moments
3 out of 5
Ok, Imma just come out with it. I don’t care about Led Zeppelin. I did a relisten of the 1st 4 albums when all the backlash on Greta Van Fleet was happening and, to be honest, while I could appreciate it, I didn’t find much joy in it. Pomposity, yes. Musicianship, definitely. But, all I could think of was that time about 20 years ago when a radio station decided to go Led Zep 24/7 only to realize that…um…there really wasn’t much to support it in terms of music or audience.
I thought Pictures at Eleven was fine. Not great. I gave it 3/5.
This album starts out very strong. I have always loved “In the Mood” and never gave thought to it being a Robert Plant song.
After that, the album makes a beeline to overwrought self-importance. I would bet Plant doesn’t remember most of these songs. (I’m probably wrong, but I’ve forgotten them and they were just playing) He does manage to push bits of nothing like “Wreckless Love” over the finish line, though.
And I don’t know who thought “Big Dookie”, er, “Big Log” was the best choice for a single. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: