Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Manowar - Into Glory Ride

Manowar - Into Glory Ride

July 1983
Manowar
Into Glory Ride
3.5 out of 5
Power metal chords? Check.
Soaring high notes? Check check.
Stupid lyrics? Yep.
Norse and medieval mythology? Sure, why not?
Obligatory guitar solos? What do you think?
The landscape of rock is littered with metal bands who aspire to be the Wagners of Rock. Some succeed, some do not.
Manowar might be the early progenitors of this theatrical cheese and, without them, maybe we get no Iron Savior. And I like Iron Savior.
I’ll say this. Often when I do this I listen to the first “side” of the record and then do Side One of the next, like they are platters dropping on an old turntable. I was really expecting to want to dive into that next LP as soon as possible. But, Manowar won me over.
Highlights:
Gates of Valhalla
Revelation (Death’s Angel)

No comments: