Monday, January 6, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Wham! - Music From the Edge of Heaven

Wham! - Music From the Edge of Heaven




#279/1404
July 1 1986
Wham!
Music From the Edge of Heaven
Genre: Pop
2.5 out of 5 


Highlights:
I’m Your Man
A Different Corner
Last Christmas


“Last Christmas I gave you my heart. The very next day you gave it away.”
How? I can understand turning it down or no longer wanting it but giving the affections afforded you to someone else is…not possible. It’s a cute lyric, to be sure, but every time I hear it I roll my eyes. 
And I hear it 
EVERY
GODDAMNED 
CHRISTMAS.
And it’s catchy as hell. 

I’m pretty excited that this is the last Wham! record. It’s not as terrible as Fantastic! but it’s pretty cloyingly bad at times. Wanna hear 90s pop? It’s here. Drum machine loops and all. “Battlestations” sounds like Michael trying super hard to be Prince and not finding it.
Then, on “I’m Your Man”, he finds his mojo and gets me wanting to hit the dance floor. This is a schizo record. 

BIG POINTS OFF for…you guessed it…”Wham! Rap ’86”.  
Ugh. The problem with Rap in the 80s is it triggered the Dunning-Kruger in so many artists. The “I can do that!” bullshit took over and the landscape is littered with this garbage from Blondie to Adam Ant to Marky Ramone to George Michael to fucking Lou Reed (his official Listening Post moniker). 




No comments: