Monday, January 6, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Das Damen - Jupiter Eye

Das Damen - Jupiter Eye



#276/1401
1986 Housekeeping
Das Damen
Jupiter Eye
Genre: Alternative
3.5 out of 5



Highlights:
Quarter After Eight
Name Your Poison




I should like this, but I don’t and I can’t quite put my finger on it, aside from messy production. It’s a weird prog-punk thing that sometimes works (the Instrumental “Quarter After Eight”, “Where They All Went”) but most often doesn’t. The hiss on the recording is so bad I swore that someone left the faucet in the sink running and I nearly yelled at my children for something Das Damen did 35 years ago.

This record doesn’t know what it wants to be and I want it to figure it out cuz the pieces are there. Is it Husker Du? Is it Sonic Youth?
Points for nearly getting there, though.

FWIW, the “80s” as we think of them are all but dead. 




No comments: