Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded

Bob Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded




#289/1414
July 14 1986
Bob Dylan
Knocked Out Loaded
Genre: Rock
3.5 out of 5

Requisite 80s cover:
“They Killed Him” by Kris Kristofferson. I find it interesting that Bob opens this record with not one, but two covers. This one is filled with gospel sounds and references to SkyDaddy so I’m guessing Bob’s religiosity isn’t over. That said, it’s lovely. 



I swear on my kids’ lives that when I first heard Bob mumblesing “You wanna ramble” I thought he was singing, “You wanna back rub.” That would have made the song more interesting, tbh. 
Someday I’m gonna tell the story of how I ended up convincing some college friends that I was a potentially great editor because I was giving my thoughts in the editing room on a film that was either directed by Jessie Dylan. 
Oh. 
That’s the story. 

A lot of the songs on this record just seem to run out. Like Bob just got tired and said, “let’s just fade out, I didn’t really write an ending.”. 
But then, on Side Two, he teams up with Sam Shepard for the 11 minute bonkers epic, “Brownsville Girl”. I can’t recommend it but I also can’t not. Then he teams up with Tom Petty for one and Carole Bayer Sager for the last. It’s the most inspired I’ve heard Dylan in a while. Not as good as his previous two but he’s getting there. 



No comments: