Sunday, January 19, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Crowded House - Crowded House

Crowded House - Crowded House




#319/1999
August 1 1986
Crowded House
Crowded House
Genre: Rock
5 out of 5 ( I can not be objective, it’s delicious)


Highlights:
Mean to Me
World Where You Live
Now We’re Getting Somewhere
Something So Strong
I Walk Away


Gawd, I played the shit out this thing. I don’t know how it entered my life but this was part of the soundtrack of transition. I know I had it in New York but I really spun it in Los Angeles.
My roommate and I weren’t supposed to live together. We were just driving across country together, he and I and his friend who were the actual names on the drive-away car. I was the stowaway. The guy in the backseat who smoked a lot and was responsible for the ash burns in the back seat. 
But, sometime in Williams, Arizona, my roomie realized that living with his best friend might not be the best idea so he and I decided to get a place. And the friend crashed with us. 
Our apartment was empty. Like, nothing. My “bed” was a borrowed air mattress, until I managed to get a real one and I propped it up on milk crates. 
In one room of this basement place we made furniture out of other milk crates and threw a party. We made flyers and walked around the Beverly Center handing them out. Dozens of strangers showed up at our place and we were all trashed. I woke up in the backseat of my car, a beat up Volkswagon FastBack that I bought for $75 and it crapped out in 2 weeks. 
But we were young and the world was in front of us. It was all hope. And dreams. 
And that’s this record. 
This kind of sound will be HUGE in a few years with Aimee Mann and Michael Penn and Matthew Sweet but Neil was there before any of them.


I believe “I Will Love You Forever” is written about his brother, Tim, who sucks and is nowhere near this thing. Which is why it’s great.


No comments: