Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - David Lee Roth - Eat 'em and Smile

David Lee Roth - Eat 'em and Smile




#285/1410
July 7 1986
David Lee Roth
Eat ‘em and Smile
Genre: Rawk
4.5 out of 5



Highlights:
Yankee Rose
I’m Easy
Elephant Gun



REQUISITE 80S COVER:
“Tobacco Road” and it kicks ass. 


Life is full of regrets. I don’t have a lot. But I do have one that includes Diamond Dave.
I was out with my girlfriend and she used to like to frequent all sorts of seedy establishments. One Saturday night found us at Crazy Girls in Hollywood. I don’t know how or why we were there but I followed her lead a lot during those days. She knew where all the creepy crawly places in LA were. (One day I’ll tell the story of “The Mousetrap”, an actual password entering sleaze-easy that she dragged me to one night. 
So, there we were at Crazy Girls but not IN the club. Oh, no. We were hanging on the patio…doing…nothing. And I turned around and a hand stuck in my face. At one end of it was a joint being offered to me. I declined. No thanks. I don’t smoke. At the other end of the arm was David Lee Roth’s face. He just looked at me like I was a weirdo who turned down getting high with Diamond Dave and turned back to his coterie of Los Angeles chicks ’n dudes. 
And we left, off to another adventure. 

Steve Vai’s guitar talks to David and immediately I feel like it’s a more playful & fun relationship than even Valerie could have with Eddie. 

This is the Van Halen album we all deserved after 1984.




No comments: