Friday, January 17, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted

Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted



#311/1991
July 1986
Cryptic Slaughter
Convicted
Genre: SpeedMetal/Punk
4.25 out of 5



Highlights:
Lowlife
Rage to Kill
Nation of Hate



Is it Metal? The songs have actual groovy structure that pokes out every once in a while but, then…is it punk? Because it’s all screaming and thrash for the sake of thrashing? 
I think they are trying to be something new and I’m all for that. But…listen to “Lowlife” and tell me that it’s not two genres fighting each other for dominance. 
But, I also sort of like it. 
I can’t recall anything moving this fast. I don’t know if they invented this sound but they are surely the godfathers of it if anything. 
Okay, I just read up on these guys and…holy hell, they formed the band 2 years before when the oldest was 17. The drummer was 14. The guitarist was 15??! So, when they recorded this record only one of them was over 17 years old or something like that.
That’s fucking amazing. 
This is a pretty relentless assault, better suited to an EP but, for what it is, it’s terrific. 


No comments: