Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Peter Murphy - Should the World Fail to Fall Apart

Peter Murphy - Should the World Fail to Fall Apart



#306/1986
July 1986
Peter Murphy
Should the World Fail to Fall Apart
Genre: Post-Rock
3.5 out of 5


Requisite 80s covers:
Magazine’s “The Light Pours Out of Me” and Pere Ubu’s “Final Solution. 
Real Life is a great album but nothing really struck me as fantastic. Murphy puts a nice spin on it. 
The latter track is a PU song that I’ve never heard but I’ve heard OF. It’s probably the most engaging track on this record. 

I really really really really didn’t care for Dali’s Car so I have to wonder what this will be like. 

First thing that jumped out at me:
That bassline on the opening track is right out of Gary Numan’s Dance album. “Slower to China”, if I’m not mistaken. 
Murphy’s voice sounds less like what I recall and more like someone trying to ape…well…Bowie. But weren’t they all? Only he sounds more like Russell Sparks channeling Bowie.


In the early 00s I recall listening to Sea Change by Beck and being really pissed off because the songs were lovely but Beck insisted on putting computer gleeps and the like on it so it would have requisite weirdness and Murphy is doing that here. I think he’s fine without the synthesizers that sound like kazoos, if we’re being honest. 

Somewhere between lesser Peter Gabriel and Barely tolerable Gary Numan lies this record.




No comments: