Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Vinnie Vincent - Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Vinnie Vincent - Vinnie Vincent Invasion



#324/2004
August 2 1986
Vinnie Vincent
Vinnie Vincent Invasion
3 out of 5



Highlights:
Boyz Are Gonna Rock


When I did the first Listening Post I covered Kiss. I called it The Kissening Post. Look how clever I am. 
That meant not just covering all the studio albums but also the live ones, the solo records and the records by peripheral members of the band. Like this one. 
I was curious to see if 10 years and thousands of albums later I would feel differently than my initial review, about which I wrote, “This is as generic a late 80s metal album as you'll ever hear, Bereft of subtlety, absent style, lacking song-craft, any one of the tracks could have fallen off a teen-comedy soundtrack. Probably did. This record was made for frustrated, parking lot dwelling, 15 year old zitheads. These people are now 40 and part of the ruling class. Any wonder we're in the shape we are?”

Those people are now 50 somethings, by the way.


Vinnie can play and he really wants to show you that he can shred with the best of them. But the songs are all just pedestrian hard rock, ala Whitesnake but not as good, and why should they be? They are just filler to showcase Vinnie’s prowess. I did like “Animal” more today than I did 10 years ago…hrmmm….

This album is packed with unfulfilled promise.




No comments: