Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Helstar - Remnants of War

Helstar - Remnants of War



#331/2011
August 16 1986
Helstar
Remnants of War
1.75 out of 5


Lowlights:
Face the Wicked One


I always chuckle when Metalheads put some classical or faux-classical pieces on their albums. Helstar opens with some synths. “Hey, bro, Beethoven would’ve been into metal if he was alive today!” they always argue. Are they right? Maybe. Who knows. He’d probably be caught up in samples and synthetic everything.

This is so dull. 

I’ve never done this before but I totally agree with this user on Allmusic:
“For their second album, Helstar pump up the volume and bring some Thrash Metal fuzz with them. As a result, the band sounds even more derivative than before. Prepare yourself for 38 minutes of bore here.”

Yep. It’s dull as an unsharpened barber’s blade after decades of use. 

I almost liked “Dark Queen” but I just couldn’t bring myself to Highlight it.


No comments: