Monday, January 27, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Paul Simon - Graceland

Paul Simon - Graceland



#338/2018
August 25 1986
Paul Simon
Graceland
Genre: Rock
5 out of 5

Highlights:
Not a bad track on it. Every single one is an example of an expert songsmith at the height of his craft.

If you were ever wondering how or why this group was started, it’s because of this album. 
Well, not just this record. I was listening to the albums of 1983 by myself and heard Duck Rock by Malcolm McLaren and posted something about how he was there first with the African Rhythm appropriations and Paul Simon owed him royalties. 

I’m sitting on my bed in my dorm room. It’s early 1987. My roommate and I are just hanging out. We don’t really listen to a lot of music together, really. For some reason I put this cassette into the player and fired it up. We just sat there, listening. At the end of the first side we both marveled as I turned the cassette over at just how remarkable this record was. 
Is. 

“She comes back to tell me she's gone
As if I didn't know that
As if I didn't know my own bed
As if I'd never noticed
The way she brushed her hair from her forehead”

Kills me every time.



No comments: