Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Gone - Let's Get Real, Real Gone for a Change

Gone - Let's Get Real, Real Gone for a Change



#304/1429   LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
July 1986
Gone
Let’s Get Real, Real Gone for a Change
Genre: Jazz Rock
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Peter Gone
Climbing Rat’s Wall
Watch the Tractor
Lawndale Rock City



As much as a surprise that first Gone record was, this is ljust as good. 
We did these out of order and I kind of wish we hadn’t. In fact, I wish we just listened to them back to back. Now I’m not sure which one is better. 
 It sounds like what happens when you own a recording studio and have a LOT of free time and know a ton of fantastic musicians. 
When it kicks it’s monstrous (ala the Highlights above) but when it doesn’t it’s only slightly self-indulgent, like, “Hey! I have a riff, let’s play it to death!”. An example of my frustration is “Rosanne”. A series of riffs, played in a row but it never takes off and just ends up sounding like a soundtrack to a skateboard video. 
I had to give myself over to it and, after I did, it rocketed up my spine in great ways. 









No comments: