Monday, January 6, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Twelfth Night - Twelfth Night

Twelfth Night - Twelfth Night



#268/1393
June 1986
Twelfth Night
Twelfth Night
Genre: 80s Rock
4.25 out of 5



Highlights:
Shame
Take a Look

There’s a song on this proggy-yet straightforward rock album called “Blue Powder Monkey”. I know what a Powder Monkey is (a crewman responsible for gunpowder). I know this because I love Queen and there’s a line in “March of the Black Queen” off Queen II that says, “Blue Powder monkeys praying in the dead of night.”. I think Freddie just liked the way the words flew together (like “a little ni**er sugar and a rub a dub of baby oil”). I’ve never seen a reference to a “powder monkey” being blue other than that line. 
Until Twelfth Night. Which suggests they are Queen fans. And that’s fine with me. 
But the song isn’t all that memorable. 
They want to be epic. They aren’t Marillion or U2 but they’ll do in a pinch, I guess. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zybQPtlZ2CE&list=PLBJ7ztNazTVABw1xhrg_XpRwO5n9RJeWJ

No comments: